[Samba] smbldap - backup

Etienne-Hugues Fortin efortin at fs01.cyberspicace.com
Wed Jun 9 18:56:13 GMT 2004

Hi,

> Really more of an openldap question... however

That's true but I assume that anybody that is using Samba with ldap would
benefit knowing this.

> You can do 'slapcat' from the command line of your ldap box and it will
> output the data in an ldif format.  Redirect that into a file for
> backing up.  You would probably want to get your openldap configuration
> directory (typically /etc/openldap on linux servers where you didn't
> compile from source).  If you ever needed to restore from that file you
> pipe it into a slapadd command and you're done restoring.

I didn't realized that slapcat was really showing everything in a format
that was usable for a future import (slapadd).  I'll go to bed a little
bit more knowledgable about ldap.  That's good.

Hopefully it will be useful for somebody else as well.

Thank you Paul for your fast answer.

Etienne-Hugues