[Samba] Share trash can?

McKeever Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Tue Jun 8 16:23:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:55 , Robert Sossomon <robert at gcnorris.com> sent:

>Is there a trash can, or a way to add one, so that if a user deletes a
>file off the share it just goes away until a nightly purge is done?

kind of - you can make a morning mirror to a different direcory using pointers

/samba = data directory
/mirror = mirror directory

cp -al /samba/* /mirror/*

if someone deletes something it still exists in the mirror till you delete the mirror for the next day's mirror - but in essesce, this technique uses
so little space that you can have weeks and weeks of DELTA changes files..it is harder to explain than view..for example, I have 6 months of
backups tkaing up less than 5% more diskspace than the actual files themselves (this of course is use determined)

>Thanks,
>Robert
>
>--

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">www.prupref.com</A>
Prudential Preferred Properties
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real Estate Experts</A>

---- Prudential Preferred Properties   www.prupref.com