[Samba] Samba just Slow with AutoCad?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Jun 8 14:59:06 GMT 2004

Do you have any dns service running?  Even if you're running some files
based stuff (/etc/hosts) make sure that your address match names.  I've
had issues where they didn't match up before.

Follow me here...  a machine running dhcp registered itself in dns with
a particular address.  That user then was given a static address with a
different name.  The user didn't change his computer name to match dns
when he went to static, and his machine didn't change its dns
registration, so it was reporting itself as a name which matched a black
hole IP address (because it wasn't sitting there any more).  You could
see in the logs where the samba spooler service would time out trying to
access the dead address/name combo, and eventually windows would just
time out and give you the printer box.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254