[Samba] NT4 Samba 3.0.2 and LDAP

Cristian van Ee cristian at cvee.org
Tue Jun 8 08:41:20 GMT 2004

Hi,

We're using a Samba domain with about 50 Windows 2000/XP clients.
We don't have any problems adding XP or 2000 clients to the domain.

Now we have one NT4 server that needs to be migrated to the samba domain
and this causes problems.
When adding the server to the domain with the option add machine account,
the system tells me he can't find the domain.
If i browse the network from the NT4 server i can access the domain
controller without any problems.
So i went for the manual way, using smbldap-password -w <machine>.
I see the account in my LDAP, but SIDs!!!
When trying to add the machine without creatinga new machine account it
reports me it can't find the machine account on the domain.
When i look in my LDAP the machine account is gone!!!

So i've googled a bit around en checked the samba mailinglists and i found
a prblem with clear text passwords.
So i applied the registry patch mentioned, but no succes.

Does anyone else ever had this problem and solved it?
Please help me...

We're using Samba 3.0.2(Red Hat has not updated their packages yet)on Red
Hat Enterprise V3.0 Server Edition with OpenLDAP 2.0.17-11.

Thanx in advance,

Cristian.
*nix systems administrator.