[Samba] Samba just Slow with AutoCad?

Brian Merrell beantoo at tristatesurvey.com
Mon Jun 7 14:59:34 GMT 2004

This is from 1998:

"We've had serious performance problems loading AutoCAD R14 .dwg files from
VAResearch VArServer 3000 (dual 400MHz PII, Red Hat 5.0, SAMBA 1.9.17p4,
256MB RAM, 36GB RAID5). The problem is that on first access, trying to read
the .dwg file is very, very slow"

This is from 1999:

"A friend of mine just had a big problem with Samba, which we eventually
solved. The problem was that NT clients did well on a copy in a command
prompt, but were terribly slow when opening the same file in Autocad.

(Compared to serving the file from an NT server).

The solution was well hidden in dejanews and the Samba documentation
somewhere; we had to set
socket options = SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096"

I have found a couple of other people complaining about performance with
AutoCad.  I have tried the above fix, and I did not notice any difference
whatsoever.  I have also tried generic speed fixes like this:
http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Documents/tuning.english.html to no
avail.

This is very important to our company, and I may be forced to use a windows
server if I cannot resolve this problem.  We had our files on a Windows XP
machine (with worse hardware than we are using now) and it was running quite
a bit faster than the Samba server we have now.  The speed problem, however,
only seems to be with AutoCad.

Here are some smb.conf's I have tried:
(I have tried SO_SNDBUF=8192, and 4096)

[global]

workgroup = TRISTATE
security = USER
netbios name = SERVER
encrypt passwords = Yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd

oplocks = true
ole locking compatibility = no
read prediction = true
strict sync = yes

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=2920

hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 10.0.0.0/24
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

[Drawings]

path = /fileservice/drawings
writeable = Yes
browseable = Yes
read only = No
guest ok = No
comment = autocad related files and misc files
valid users = drafter

[Topowork]

path = /fileservice/topowork
writeable = Yes
browseable = Yes
read only = No
guest ok = No
comment = adobe related files
valid users = drafter

AND:

[global]

workgroup = TRISTATE
security = USER
netbios name = SERVER
encrypt passwords = Yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd

[Drawings]

path = /fileservice/drawings
writeable = Yes
browseable = Yes
read only = No
guest ok = No
comment = autocad related files and misc files
valid users = drafter

[Topowork]

path = /fileservice/topowork
writeable = Yes