[Samba] Win2k can't see the domain

L. Claudius lclaudius at assuntos-estrategicos.org
Mon Jun 7 12:06:26 GMT 2004

Hi. I have a working 3.0.4 server offering logons and profiles
for the Win98 boxes in our network. Now I'm trying to do the
same for the Win2k boxes, but no luck. The details:

1. The server's name is curia and the Win2k box's is macellus.
I created (with vipw) usernames for curia$ and macellus$.

2. net rpc join -U root%password worked ok, joined domain
ROMANOVA.

3. Next, added curia and macellus with smbpasswd -a -m.

4. On Win2k I use the Network Identification Wizard. In the
first screen, I enter user root and domain ROMANOVA. It goes
to another screen with the message "Windows cannot find an
account for your computer on the ROMANOVA domain" and asks
for the computer name and domain. I enter computer MACELLUS
and domain ROMANOVA and get an error box saying "The domain
ROMANOVA is either invalid or does not exist".

5. Using the network properties directly, without the wizard,
I also get an error box "The specified domain either does not
exist or could not be contacted".

6. The network connection is ok, the machines can ping each
other, and the Win2k box can even see the Samba shares when
configured as a workgroup.

7. The samba log files did not register any activity from the
macellus box.

8. This is the smb.conf file:

[global]

   workgroup = ROMANOVA
   netbios name = curia
   server string = FreeBSD Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127. .assuntos-estrategicos.org
   bind interfaces only = true
   interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 5000
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   update encrypted = yes
   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes

   logon script = %U.bat
   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
   logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes
   writeable = yes

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/shares/netlogon
   guest ok = no
   share modes = no
   read only = yes
   writelist = @lclaudius
   browseable = no

[profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/shares/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
;    create mode = 600
;    directory mode = 770

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = yes
   printable = yes

[bin]
   comment = Software share
   path = /usr/local/samba/shares/bin
   read only = no
   public = yes

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

[texmf]
   comment = Local files
   path = /usr/local/share/texmf
   read only = yes
   public = yes

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
"Without this playing with fantasy no creative work has ever come to birth.
The debt we owe to the play of our imagination is incalculable." [Carl Jung]