[Samba] Excluded profile folders sync'd on logout

Mi mi.lists at alma.ch
Mon Jun 7 08:58:36 GMT 2004

>I'm trying to get folder redirection working with roaming profiles and
>Samba 3.0.2a and Windows XP clients.  I've followed the Samba 3 by Example
>document and have change the User Shell Folders registry key and created a
>Default User profile in the netlogon share and set the machnes group
>policy for excluding the directories from the roaming profile.
>
>Everything is working properly AFAIK except for one thing, when the user
>logs out, Windows XP displays a dialog with a progress bar and says its
>syncing the profdata share.  If I copy a big file to the Desktop, say
>something around 70MB, this sync takes a long time, like it's copying the
>file to the server or off the server or something.
>
>The registry key for the "User Shell Folders\Desktop" is set to
>\\%LOGONSERVER%\profdata\%USERNAME%\Desktop and I have Desktop as one of
>the folders in the "Exclude from roaming profiles" list.

You are pointing the desktop folder to the server. If you don't want it
there you should probably point it elsewhere. Like "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop",
which may work with your exclusion list, or %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%\Desktop
? You can see all your environment variables by typing SET at the Windows
command line.