[Samba] Clients can find printer when

McKeever Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Sat Jun 5 23:24:53 GMT 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:05 , Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 at comcast.net> sent:

>I had a working Samba installation on my home network.  Then I replaced one
>printer with another.  The new printer is successfully installed on my RedHat
>9.0 system on /dev/lp0.  It is an Epson C82.  From the RedHat system all is
>well.
>
>However, I am unable to print to this printer via Windows XP boxes on my
>network.  Samba is working to the extent that Windows can find these printers
>via browsing.  But that's it.
>
>At first, I would get access denied messages under "Status" on Windows'
>"Printers and Faxes" window.  At that time my smb.conf looked like this:
>
>[root at RAINIER samba]# cat smb.conf
># Samba config file created using SWAT
># from RAINIER (127.0.0.1)
># Date: 2004/06/05 16:09:08
>
># Global parameters
>[global]
>        workgroup = DARROW335
>        server string = samba server
>        security = SHARE
>        encrypt passwords = Yes
>        obey pam restrictions = Yes
>        pam password change = Yes
>        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
>*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>        unix password sync = Yes
>        log level = 3
>        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>        max log size = 0
>        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>        preferred master = Yes
>        domain master = Yes
>        dns proxy = No
>        wins server = 192.168.123.70
>        guest ok = Yes
>        printing = cups
>
>[homes]
>        comment = Home Directories
>        valid users = %S
>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0664
>        directory mask = 0775
>        browseable = No
>
>[printers]
>        comment = All Printers
>        path = /var/spool/samba
>        printable = Yes
>        browseable = No
>
>[Epson]
>        path = /var/spool/samba
>        read only = No
>        hosts allow = 192.168.123
>        printable = Yes
>        printer name = Epson
>        oplocks = No
>
>[testshare]
>        path = /tmp
>        guest account = ftp
>        read only = No
>        hosts allow = 192.168.123.0/255.255.255.0

sorry for the double post - but make sure your host allow is right, you have two different ones within the file (I have never used it) my
suggestion, take it out for now, start basic - get it to work and then add from there till you break something or get your desired result.

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">www.prupref.com</A>
Prudential Preferred Properties
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real Estate Experts</A>