[Samba] Clients can find printer when "browsing" but not otherwise

Steve Cohen stevecoh1 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 5 22:05:44 GMT 2004

I had a working Samba installation on my home network.  Then I replaced one
printer with another.  The new printer is successfully installed on my RedHat
9.0 system on /dev/lp0.  It is an Epson C82.  From the RedHat system all is
well.

However, I am unable to print to this printer via Windows XP boxes on my
network.  Samba is working to the extent that Windows can find these printers
via browsing.  But that's it.

At first, I would get access denied messages under "Status" on Windows'
"Printers and Faxes" window.  At that time my smb.conf looked like this:

[root at RAINIER samba]# cat smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from RAINIER (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/06/05 16:09:08

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = DARROW335
        server string = samba server
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.123.70
        guest ok = Yes
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[Epson]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        hosts allow = 192.168.123
        printable = Yes
        printer name = Epson
        oplocks = No

[testshare]
        path = /tmp
        guest account = ftp
        read only = No
        hosts allow = 192.168.123.0/255.255.255.0

After reading some of the documentation, I came upon
"Use Client Driver".  This looked reasonable, since I was in fact installing
the driver on the Windows boxes.  I added this parameter to the config,
under the "Epson" section, restarted smbd and nmbd and now, I no longer saw
"Access Denied", I saw "Ready", but still, all attempts to print to this
printer from the Windows boxes yielded nothing.  And all the auxiliary
functions like "Print Test Page" from Windows timed out.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Steve Cohen