[Samba] File already in use?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Jun 5 00:44:52 GMT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:23:03PM +0200, Andreas Haumer wrote:

> We also have a test case for this which we could reproduce
> at least 6 times in a row now:
>
> a) User starts Excel with empty workspace and opens the file
>    using the Excel "Open" dialog -> no problem
>
> b) User starts Excel first with empty workspace. User then
>    starts Windows Explorer and opens the file by double-klicking
>    on the filename in Windows Explorer -> no problem
>
> c) Excel is not running. User starts Windows Explorer and
>    opens the file by double-klicking on the filename in Windows
>    Explorer -> Excel starts up and presents the error dialog
>    that the file was already in use! User can acknowledge the
>    error dialog by klicking on "OK" -> file opens in Excel
>    without problem.

Ok, I just mailed Andreas privately, but wanted to let everyone
who might be suffering from the same problem know the status.

I have now re-written the Samba open code to provide
the "deferred" opens that Excel seems to require. I have a
(large) patch against the current Samba subversion 3.0 code
that should fix this problem.

I've been testing it here and it passes all my automated tests,
plus it is valgrind (memory leak and overwrite) safe.

If you can cope with applying a diff patch to svn checked
out code (if you don't know what that means don't ask for
the patch :-) please let me know and I'll mail it out.

Don't put it into production but for people who have users
who can reproduce it at will I'd be very interested to see
if this fixes the problem.

Jeremy.