[Samba] Point n' Print + DeskJet = Access Violation

Nicolas Christener niki.christener at dtc.ch
Fri Jun 4 21:54:00 GMT 2004

As described here:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-February/080219.html
(and on other places) some drivers will refuse to work after installing them
using point n' print. My w2k client gives a nice acces violation after
installing the hp deskjet 990c driver.
I checked "man smb.conf" and found some informations about the problem.
I tryed to set "default devmode" to yes, but the problem still exists.
There is also a posting that says, that this was a samba bug, and it should be
fixed now:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-February/080294.html
Unfortunately I still have this problem.
Samba is 3.0.4 (I also tryed 3.0.2) -> Debian backport packages
BTW: Tryed a canon driver.. worked fine! But all of the tested HP drivers (4
different versions/models  faild.

Can someone of you tell me how I can get this driver to work?
Does a workarround exists for this problem?

Any help would be great!
(I think you don't need my config. Otherwise i'll post them.)

Thanks in advance.
Nicolas

BTW: sorry for my bad (or at least not so good) english.