[Samba] CA Arcserve backups of Samba 3.0 unicode filenames?

Tom Dickson tdickson at inostor.com
Fri Jun 4 16:06:36 GMT 2004

(sorry about the resend forgot limits)

I've got CA Arcserve 9.0 working (sorta) by changing /etc/sysconfig/i18n
(Redhat 7.3 here) to:

LANG="en_US.utf8"
SUPPORTED="en_US.iso885915:en_US:en_US.utf8;en"
SYSFONT="lat0-sun16"
SYSFONTACM="iso15"

The issue I'm having is that a file named BjørÇÆæn (see
http://schnecke.bombcar.com/bjorn.jpg for what it looks like if it
doesn't display correctly) is stored in UTF-8 on the filesystem (because
that's the best way to do it):

ls -d BjørÇÆæn | xxd -g 1
0000000: 42 6a c3 b8 72 c3 87 c3 86 c3 a6 6e 0a           Bj..r......n.

However, CA Arcserve 9.0 doesn't seem to handle the LANG= correctly. It
is actually able to backup and restore the above directory, but it does
not display it correctly. I was wondering if anyone had figured out how
to make CA BAB see that the filenames are UTF-8.

See http://schnecke.bombcar.com/unicodename.jpg for an example of this.

- -Tom

P.S. It worked until we went to Samba 3 which meant we're now using UTF-8.

[root at in214aa4 H67]# locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

testparm -s -v | grep UTF
Processing section "[snapshots]"
NOTE: Service snapshots is flagged unavailable.
Processing section "[ARCserv]"
NOTE: Service ARCserv is flagged unavailable.
Processing section "[datashare]"
Processing section "[%U]"
Processing section "[HOMEDIRS$]"
Processing section "[BjørÇÆæn]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
~        unix charset = UTF-8
~        display charset = UTF-8