[Samba] ERROR: cli_session_request() failed...

Steve Quezadas steve at tripperjones.com
Thu Jun 3 15:17:53 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am using smbspool and I seem to be getting an error that I can't find
a solution to. I checked Google, Usenet and the samba archives. I seem
to find people with the problem, but no answer. When I try to use the
smbspool program, I get the following error:
> root at HomeLinux:/home/steve# smbspool smb://192.168.1.4/LaserPrinter 0
0 0 0 0 README
> ERROR: cli_session_request() failed...
> ERROR: Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...

This shared printer works perfectly fine using other window clients.
smbclient also works fine with it using the print command. So the error
seems to come with the smbspool program itself. I read the man page on
smbspool and it seems that I am doing everything correctly. I tried
trapping and tracing the error with ddd. It seems that a connection is
being made properly, but the session isn't being made correctly
(whatever that is).
>   if (!cli_session_request(c, &calling, &called))   <----------- this
line failing
>   {
>     fputs("ERROR: cli_session_request() failed...\n", stderr);
>     cli_shutdown(c);
>     return (NULL);
>  }

On closer inspection, this function is failing on this line:
> if (CVAL(cli->inbuf,0) != 0x82) {   <----- error occuring here
>      /* This is the wrong place to put the error... JRA. */
>      cli->rap_error = CVAL(cli->inbuf,4);
>      return False;
> }

The value for cli->inbuf is 0x80d4f28 "\203". My knowledge on C is a bit
limited (admittedly). I am not sure what CVAL does (not in the man
pages). I am also not sure what "inbuf" is in the cli structure, nor
what hex 0x82 or 0x80d4f28 is. What exactly does that hexadecimal value
mean? Does anyone know why a session request can't be made?

I am using Slackware 9.1 on a 2.4.22 kernel.

- Steve