[Samba] Samba and Kerberos

pll+samba at permabit.com pll+samba at permabit.com
Thu Jun 3 14:06:02 GMT 2004

Is there anyway to have Samba auth against Kerberos?

I'm not looking for DC capability, or integration with AD, or
anything fancy.  I don't want/need Samba to obtain K5 tickets on
behalf of the client. All I want is to have Samba auth the username and
password against an existing kerberos environment much like I have
IMAP doing now.

Is it possible to have Samba auth against PAM, which could be
configured to use pam_krb5.so?  If so, can someone point me to docs
on doing this?  I found http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/pam.html
which seems to indicate it's possible, however, I'm also assuming
that to use this, I'd need to have the Windows clients transmitting
their passwords in cleartext, which I'm not so keen on (unless
there's some way to run Samba over SSL or the like?)

Thanks for any pointers anyone can throw my way.
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE