[Samba] Browse list issues with Windows XP

Kit kit at gerritsaa.nl
Thu Jun 3 12:24:21 GMT 2004

The delay in XP might be due to XP using Direct Hosting, instead of NBT

Some information about Windows Direct Hosting (port 445) can be found at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q204279

Here you will see that, by disabling port 445 (direct hosting), all traffic
reverts back to NBT.

>From what I can see, Direct Hosting is no more than SMB over TCP/IP, instead
of using NBT (NetBIOS over TCP) as an intermediary transport.

Blocking Direct Hosting should not break anything (it is merely a
'short-cut') but, once it gets implemented, it should reduce overhead on
server and network.