[Samba] Win98 ==> Samba printing problem

McKeever Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Tue Jun 1 15:04:36 GMT 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 01:44 , Adina S <sambadyna at yahoo.com> sent:

>I used cups and Adobe drivers. I downloaded the
>drivers from www.adobe.com, then a PostScript for HP
>(I have that kind of printer), instaled localy the
>driver on a win 98 machine, stored the files on the
>samba server in /usr/share/cups/drivers and after that
>cupaddsmb created the driver, pt it in print$ share,
>WIN40/0 directory.
>Hope this helps
>--- fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>> Using SAmba 3.0.2 and Cups 1.1.17.
>>
>> How does one configure a W98 box to print to a samba
>> shared printer?
>>
>> Per my previous postings I can't figure it out, and
>> the methods I've
>> used on older Sambas don't work.

Have you shared the printer out?  creating it in cups is the first step, then you need to create it as a samba share.  Once you do that, you
should be able to connect to the printer \\servername\sambashare

that may be too basic of what issue you are experiencing, but I couldnt tell from your request

>> I've been thru the lengthy discussion in the samba
>> with cups documentation,
>> which tells how to do it for NT or later, but not
>> 9x.
>>
>> I've posted the smb.conf before, won't put it here,
>> for brevity.
>>
>> I'd appreciate a clue.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
>> -----------------------------
>>                       The eyes of the Lord are
>> everywhere,
>>                     keeping watch on the wicked and
>> the good.

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">www.prupref.com</A>
Prudential Preferred Properties
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real Estate Experts</A>

---- Prudential Preferred Properties   www.prupref.com