[Samba] mysql passwd backend

Chris Verges gte699u at mail.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 1 02:21:53 GMT 2004

Hey,

I'm trying to use the mysql plugin with Samba 3.0.2 and am running
into problems with the password storing aspect of the equation.
Specifically, here is how I have the smb.conf file setup:

   [global]
      workgroup = SRS
      netbios name = DustPuppy

      passdb backend           = mysql:mysql
      mysql:mysql host         = localhost
      mysql:mysql user         = samba
      mysql:mysql password     = blah
      mysql:mysql database     = samba
      mysql:fullname column    = fullname:
      mysql:domain column      = 'SRS':
      mysql:lanman pass column = lm_pw:
      mysql:nt pass column     = nt_pw:
      mysql:plain pass column  = plain_pw:
      mysql:unknown_3 column   = NULL

      security = user
      encrypt passwords = yes
      smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd

Now if I try to add a user either with smbpasswd or pdbedit, it
appears to accept the username gracefully.

   dustpuppy root # pdbedit -a cverges
   No builtin backend found, trying to load plugin
   Module '/usr/lib/samba/pdb/mysql.so' loaded
   Connecting to database server, host: localhost,
      user: samba, password: blah, database: samba, port: 3306
   Connecting to database server, host: localhost,
      user: samba, password: blah, database: samba, port: 3306
   new password:          <entered here>
   retype new password:   <entered here>
   Unix username:        cverges
   NT username:
   Account Flags:        [U          ]
   User SID:             S-1-5-21-517885770-1754025824-426584352-3000
   Primary Group SID:    S-1-5-21-517885770-1754025824-426584352-1881
   Full Name:
   Home Directory:       \\dustpuppy\cverges
   HomeDir Drive:
   Logon Script:
   Profile Path:         \\dustpuppy\cverges\profile
   Domain:               SRS
   Account desc:
   Workstations:
   Munged dial:
   Logon time:           0
   Logoff time:          0
   Kickoff time:         0
   Password last set:    Mon, 31 May 2004 21:16:58 GMT
   Password can change:  Mon, 31 May 2004 21:16:58 GMT
   Password must change: Mon, 18 Jan 2038 21:14:07 GMT

And the username appears with a pdbedit -L query.  But if I try to
login from a WinXP client, it simply says that I do not have a valid
password.  I looked in the mysql tables, and sure enough no password
information was stored in any of the fields.  For giggles, I
set "encrypt passwords = no", but nothing was stored in the plain
password column either.

I'm now at a loss for things to try.  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

chris verges
gte699u at mail.gatech.edu