[Samba] An Interesting Issue in Samba Performance

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Fri Jul 30 19:08:50 GMT 2004

Nicholas Butler <> wrote:
> A Client site of mine runs Samba 2.2.8a connecting to a series of
> Windows XP boxes via a Netgear Switch/Hub.

Budget constraints lead to me having to purchase Netgear managed
switches (as opposed to something a little more traditionaly robust)
a couple of years ago.  They *were* horrible.  Dropped packets,
network slowdowns, entire print jobs vanishing. . .  that sort
of thing.

I was forced to go back to some daisy chained hubs while I had
it out with Netgear.  A couple of firmware flashes later and
everything's just fine.

I still wonder how a company could have let a (highly priced)
piece of equipment out the door in that state though, they
should be ashamed.

--J(K)