[Samba] Joining Linux to Windows 2000 domain

Hamish captainmish at gmx.net
Fri Jul 30 14:16:17 GMT 2004

Hi Tim
Have you edited your /etc/nsswitch.conf file? This needs to be edited if
you are running as a domain member server. Look in the documentation if
you have problems, but you should be able to edit this file fairly easily.
Look for the lines that look like this:

passwd: files (winbind)
shadow: files
group: files (winbind)

they should be similar to that (the stuff in brackets is what you should
add (without the brackets).

Restart winbind and smb and you should be good to go. (Make sure your
shares are writeable as well ie your [public] share: as root type `chmod
777 /export/public` - this gives the world read, write and execute on
the dir.

PS. Try to respond via the samba list, this makes it possible for other
people to search (so if someone else has the same problem, they can just
search the list - "reply all" works!)