[Samba] 2 Server's over VPN

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Fri Jul 30 13:06:34 GMT 2004

> I'm from brasil
> Here the internet isn't very reliable

there are two kinds of connections:

1) fast, dirty cheap and reliable
those connections usually called LAN

2) not so fast, not so reliable, not so cheap
those connections usually called WAN

fileserver protocols like SMB do not work within WAN, they work for LAN
only. if you are dealing with "2)" you can use http/sql/rdp protocols
they were specially designed for WAN connections.

in your case you can use rdp. or citrix.
samba will not work good over unreliable connections.
actually, windows timeouts are somewhat hardcoded. most probably you won't
be able to describe your windows workstation to wait for hours for file
locking.