[Samba] Samba 3 + LDAP as PDC join domain problem

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Jul 30 12:46:33 GMT 2004

Jacky C.K Tsoi wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've setup Samba 3.0.5 + OpenLDAP (ldapsam) and everything work correctly.
>However, while my Windows 200x workstation join the domain, I need to join it
>twice. Here is what I do:
>
>1. Go to Computer properties -> Computer Name -> Change
>2. Enter the new domain name
>3. Enter Administrator and password
>
>then, it will return me that the user name cannot be found.
>I've checked the LDAP directory that the computer account is created
>successfully without any problem.  So, I click OK again and enter the
>Administrator account password again, and it success.

How is your network set up with regard to the PDC and your LDAP
server(s)? I would guess that when you say the account is created
properly that the posix account is created, but that it has no samba
attributes, then the second time it adds those attributes to the object.

I had a similar issue when I was testing using a local samba PDC and a
remote LDAP master with a local slave. The issue was that the
replication from master->slave was not happening quick enough for the
smbldap-tools script to find the posix account on the local slave when
it needed to. I hacked a 2 (or maybe it was 5) second sleep into the add
machine account part of the script. If this is what you're seeing I can
tell you where I did it.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.