[Samba] Read list/write list users - only given read access

Дорофеев Михаил Сергеевич DorofeevMS at tmn.transneft.ru
Fri Jul 30 06:36:36 GMT 2004

Hi all!
A question regarding rights assigned  based on read/write list user membership.

The doc says:
write list (S)

>This is a list of users that are given read-write access to a service. If the connecting user is in this list then they will be given write access, no matter what the read only option is set to. The list can include group names using the @group syntax.

>Note that if a user is in both the read list and the write list then they will be given write access.

BUT (!)?
If I have a user listed in Valid users, read list and write list
That user IS NOT ALLOWED TO WRITE to a share, only read!
Removing him from the READ LIST solves the problem.

Is THE DOC wrong?

Thanks all in advance! I just want to make it clear.

P.S. If a user NOT listed in VALID USERS BUT listed in write list - I assume he should not be able to connect to a share. Is that correct ?

Sincerely yours,
Mike