[Samba] Winbind + ext3 ACLs

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno.org
Thu Jul 29 21:06:12 GMT 2004

Hi folks,

For the longest time, I've had a problem changing or modifying ACLs from
my window clients.  Whenever I tried, I'd get this in the logs:

[2004/07/29 12:36:26, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(823)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID
S-1-5-21-1292428093-651377827-xxxxxxxxx-1333 to uid or gid.

I could change the ACLs using getfacl/setfacl, btw.

After a little investigation, I think I've found the problem.  I'm using
winbind here, but I'm using this option:

winbind use default domain = yes

Which, for the sake of completeness, strips out domain info out of the
username.  So instead of `BOCA/skennedy`, it comes out as `skennedy`.
This is where I think my problem is.  Using wbinfo, I resolved that SID
to BOCA/skennedy, who happens to be a completely different user name.

My question is this:  Does my logic seem correct to everyone else?  Is
there anything else I should be looking at?  Further, does anybody have
a solution to this problem?  This server is also a web/email server for
the intranet, and I am trying to avoid setting up a new server ( we have
4 going already, mainly for window crap ) if at all possible.

Any help is greatly apprecaited.

Sean