[Samba] Redundancy in samba

Derek Harkness dharknes at umd.umich.edu
Thu Jul 29 20:02:44 GMT 2004

I'm in the process of setting up a similar environment, I'm just
working at it from the other side.  I've got the Samba environment and
I'm adding the kerberos/afs to it.  Be sure to compile with the
--with-afs option.

Samba hand crafts AFS tokens on the users behalf, this means
maintaining two passwords a samba password and a kerberos password.
I'm setting up a synchronization process.  Your samba servers will also
need access to you AFS server key, use the net command to store the key
in the secrets.tdb.

In my environment I was going to have two or more samba servers
offering access to the same AFS space, and setup the logon script to
automatically determine which one to map to.  If a samba server goes
down then the user will need to logout and back logon or rerun the
logon script.

Derek