[Samba] Migrating from NT4 causes profiles not to load

Chris Derichs chris at nshore.com
Thu Jul 29 17:34:24 GMT 2004

I'm migrating from an NT4 Domain Controller to Samba 3.0.5

And it's mostly working. Users can log on but their desktop profiles don't
load.

On the NT Server there profile location was just left blank and people had
their profiles locally saved.

With the new samba server I want to leave it the same for now.

The howto says

>>A question often asked is: "How may I enforce use of local profiles?" or
"How do I disable roaming profiles?"
There are three ways of doing this:
In smb.conf

  Affect the following settings and ALL clients will be forced to use a
local profile: logon home = and logon path =

  The arguments to these parameters must be left blank. It is necessary to
include the = sign to specifically assign the empty value.

<<

So I did but when I tested it out, it just gave users a default profile.
All SID should have remained the same when they were vampired.

In the LDAP database I browsed through it and there are no entries like
sambaProfilePath for anyone so I just assumed it would default to smb.conf
settings.

The only samba attributes in LDAP for each users are: sambaSID,
sambaPwdMustChange, sambaPwdLastSet, sambaPwdCanChange,
sambaPrimaryGroupSID, sambaNTPassword, sambaLogonTime, sambaLogoffTime,
sambaLMPassword, sambaDomainName, sambaAcctFlags

I'd perfer an option that doesn't require changing settings on each
workstation.

=======smb.conf=======

# Global parameters  MANA (PDC SETUP)
[global]

 workgroup = OFFICE

 # PDC = Yes, BDC = No
 domain master = Yes

 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 39
 preferred master = Auto
 netbios name = MANA
 server string = Samba Domain Controller on %L
 passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
 max log size = 250
 passwd program = smbpasswd %u
 encrypt passwords = yes

#Regular LDAP Tools
 add user script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -a -m '%u'
 delete user script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-userdel.pl %u
 add group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupadd.pl '%g'
 delete group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupdel.pl '%g'
 add user to group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod.pl -m '%u'
'%g'
 delete user from group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod.pl -x
'%u' '%g'
 set primary group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-usermod.pl -g '%g'
'%u'
 add machine script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w '%u'

 ldap suffix = o=office
 ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
 ldap user suffix = ou=Users
 ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
 ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
 ldap admin dn = cn=samba,ou=DSA,o=office
 ldap ssl = no
 ldap passwd sync = Yes

 message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' root < %s; rm %s

 idmap uid = 15000-20000
 idmap gid = 15000-20000
 admin users = root
 #profile acls = Yes