[Samba] Cannot login to PDC(FreeBSD boxen) from client(win XP)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 29 16:06:26 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 01:12, Chris E wrote:
> I'm well aware of that. I didn't say new to networking, just windows
> networking. :)) They both have different names and there are only two
> pc's, the PDC and the XP client. I've changed the XP machines name
> repeatedly and rebooted each time as the machine requests and it still
> doesn't work. I only wish it was easy as the error says. Thanks for your
> reply though!
----
OK but I try to believe in the accuracy of the messages.

Is it possible that you joined this WinXP system to the domain with a different name? If so, can you delete the computer account in the unix passwd and samba passdb? Then rejoin with the current unique name.

If you have never joined the computer to the domain, check /etc/hosts and /etc/samba/lmhosts to make sure that things are adequately represented. You also might want to stop samba, delete wins.dat and restart samba.

Craig