[Samba] move samba file and print shares

Manfred Odenstein manfred.odenstein at chello.at
Thu Jul 29 15:15:44 GMT 2004

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juli 2004 15:47 schrieb Hamish:
> Hello all
> Is this possible?:
>
> samba3.0.3pre2 running as domain member with winbind, acls on reiser
> providing file security
> this is all on a seperate disk mounted as 'data1'
you have to check, if your ReiserFS implementation supports ACL

> Could I take this disk, put it in a new box, mount it again as data1,
> then copy the old smb.conf over to the new box? (I would also join the
> domain with the same name as the old box)
1.) My proposal is only a suggestion with no working waranty :-), maybe
another will post the right way
2.) if you use LDAP for you id mapping, it should work, you also have to
transfer the winbind tdb(s) (should be located in /var/lib/samba/ to the new
box. Maybe it's better to transfer the whole directory (/var/lib/samba) and
also the security tdb(s), located elsewhere (distribution dependent), then
its not nescessary to join the domain again, then you have all your printer
default settings, drivers, and so on.

regards odi