[Samba] Joining Linux to Windows 2000 domain

Hamish captainmish at gmx.net
Thu Jul 29 15:12:43 GMT 2004

Hi Tim
You might not see the e2efileserver there because you are not running
netbios - this is easy to check, just type `/etc/init.d/nmb start`. This
will start the netbios daemon and you should then be able to get to your
server from windows explorer by \\e2efileserver.
You will also need to make sure all those services start when the server
reboots (hopefully not too often!), im not too sure how fedora gives a
gui to your services, but from a console this should work: `chkconfig
--level 35 smb on` repeat this for nmb and winbind (swap nmb etc for
smb) - this will make samba winbind and nmb start when the server
switches to runlevel 3 or 5 (by default you will be starting in runlevel 5).

Since you will be running e2efileserver as a domain member, I think it
would be a good idea to also make sure it does not try to win browser
elections (i may be wrong, but i saw some strange things happening when
my server started trying) you can do this by adding: "local master = no"
and "preferred master = no" to your smb.conf

Hopefully that should give you all you need to run ;)

Tim Barone wrote:

> Hamish, thanks so much for getting back to me! I made sure to follow
> all of your suggestions. Also, I made a few changes to smb.conf and
> now wbinfo -u gives me a list of users and wbinfo -g gives me a list
> of groups. Making some progress!!!
>
> I made the following changes to smb.conf:
>

> security = ads
>

> When I go to a Windows machine and view the entire network, I do not
> see an e2efileserver icon (e2efileserver is my Linux box). Any further
> ideas on what I can do????
>
> Tim
>

>> From: Hamish <captainmish at gmx.net>
>> To: Tim Barone <timb1971 at hotmail.com>
>> CC: samba at lists.samba.org
>> Subject: Re: [Samba] Joining Linux to Windows 2000 domain
>> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:42:18 +0100
>>
>> Make sure winbind is running (have you edited nsswitch.conf to
>> include winbind?) and that nscd is not running. You can stop nscd and
>> restart all the samba services with `/etc/init.d/nscd stop` then
>> `/etc/init.d/smb restart` `/etc/init.d/nmb restart`
>> `/etc/init.d/winbind restart`
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Tim Barone wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I am new to Linux, Samba, and actually servers in general. I
>>> am attempting to set up a Linux file server and join it to a Windows
>>> 2000 domain. All I want to be able to do is get files from the linux
>>> file server and put files on it. I do not want it to be the domain
>>> controller.
>>>
>>> I join the domain using: net join -S 10.10.10.40
>>> -UAdministrator%password
>>>
>>> It tells me that I have joined the domain.
>>>
>>> wbinfo -t & wbinfo -p work fine!
>>>
>>> Wbinfo -u gives me: Error looking up domain members
>>> Wbinfo -g gives me: Error looking up domain groups
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks a bunch!
>>>
>>> Linux is Fedora Core 1
>>> Samba is 3.0
>>>
>>> smb.conf file:
>>>
>>> [global]
>>> workgroup = EIIECOMM
>>> netbios name = e2efileserver1
>>> realm = EIIECOMM.COM
>>> idmap uid = 10000 - 15000
>>> idmap gid = 10000 - 15000
>>> winbind separator = +
>>> winbind use default domain = Yes
>>> use sendfile = Yes
>>> server string= Samba Server
>>> printcap anme = /etc/printer
>>> load printers = yes
>>> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>>> max log size = 50
>>> security = domain
>>> password server = *
>>> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>>> local master = no
>>> os level = 33
>>> wins support = no
>>> wins server = 10.10.10.40 (I'm not sure this is a wins server)
> [...]
>>> comment = Temporary file space
>>> path = /tmp
>>> writeable = yes
>>> guest ok = yes