[Samba] Linux smbfs differences

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Thu Jul 29 11:59:17 GMT 2004

Hi,

On 29-jul-04, at 12:26, Gabor Kiss [Bitman] wrote:

>>> Is CONFIG_SMB_UNIX enabled in 2.4 kernels?
>>>
>>>   | CONFIG_SMB_UNIX:
>>>   | Enabling this will make smbfs use the CIFS Unix Extensions if
>>>   | supported by the server. These extensions allows use of unix user
>>>   | ids, permissions, file modes, symlinks, etc that normally do not
>>>   | work on smbfs.
>>>   | Samba 3.0 servers supports these extensions.
>>
>> No, that is not enabled, but I can't find the option in the .config of
>> 2.4 or 2.6.
>
> This is true for 2.6 (I guess extensions are always enabled)
> but my 2.4 config is here:
> #
> # Network File Systems
> #
> CONFIG_SMB_FS=m
> CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT=y
> CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE="utf8"
> CONFIG_SMB_UNIX=y

I think your Linux vendor has patched your sources. Because if I look
in the original sources
(http://lxr.linux.no/source/arch/i386/defconfig?v=2.4.26) there is no
such option. On the other hand, it doesn't make clear why several
options need to be ignored.

Greetings,

Micha Kersloot
http://www.kovoks.nl/