[Samba] Linux smbfs differences

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Thu Jul 29 08:54:52 GMT 2004

Hoi,

On 27-jul-04, at 12:43, Gabor Kiss [Bitman] wrote:

>> For example:
>> smbmount //server/share /mountpoint -o uid=100,gid=100
>> makes all the files owned by uid 100 on a 2.4 kernel. The same command
>> on a 2.6 kernel makes the mountpoint owned by uid 100, the rest of the
>> files have the uid's as set on the server.
>
> Is CONFIG_SMB_UNIX enabled in 2.4 kernels?
>
>   | CONFIG_SMB_UNIX:
>   | Enabling this will make smbfs use the CIFS Unix Extensions if
>   | supported by the server. These extensions allows use of unix user
>   | ids, permissions, file modes, symlinks, etc that normally do not
>   | work on smbfs.
>   | Samba 3.0 servers supports these extensions.

No, that is not enabled, but I can't find the option in the .config of
2.4 or 2.6.
But this makes my question why does the option CONFIG_SMB_UNIX makes
some the configuration options and some of the command line options
obsolete. Especially when they are so 'handy' when you want to share
some files.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Micha Kersloot
Voorzitter NLLGG