[Samba] Winbind and case sensitivity (revisited)

Tom Shaw tomisfaraway at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 04:13:45 GMT 2004

Hi

I've had a look through the archives and found this discussion on
winbind and case sensitivity:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-February/080321.html

The issue is that winbind will in some cases return a username
capitalized as per the NT database (ie when the user is looked up by
uid), and in other cases as per the way the user typed it (ie when the
user is looked up by username). This has cause problems for me in
integrating a Unix system into a Windows environment.

Has anyone done any work on making a patch like the one Andrew
Bartlett proposed?

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I would accept a patch that made samba 'forced' to lower
> case.  (It would lowercase all output, and force all input to be in
> lower case).

If nothing has been done yet, I'd be happy to have a go. The new
option to smb.conf would be:
winbind force case = lower/upper

How does that sound?

Tom Shaw