[Samba] Samba 3 pgsql backend configuration

Rohit Nafday rohit at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 28 22:36:48 GMT 2004

Hi,

We've been trying to set up a Samba 3 installation using a Postgresql
backend with the passdb pgsql module.  We compiled our own version of
Samba 3.05 on Debian 3.0r1 after realizing the packages don't build the
experimental backends by default.  The Postgresql database is set up and
working, but when attempting to add a new user using pdbedit, we keep
getting this errors regarding "No Identifier specified."  Looking through
the pgsql module source code, it looks like the location variable is not
set correctly.  Any help regarding how to get the pgsql backend working
correctly would be much appreciated.  I have enclosed the output from
running the pdbedit command below.

Thanks,

Rohit

swiss:/etc/samba# /tmp/samba-3.0.5/source/bin/pdbedit --backend=pgsql
--configfile=/etc/samba/smb.conf --list

doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba
doing parameter admin users = tc, tca
doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
doing parameter password level = 4
doing parameter min passwd length = 6
doing parameter create mask = 0600
doing parameter hide dot files = Yes
doing parameter hide files = /.ini/
doing parameter obey pam restrictions = yes
doing parameter load printers = yes
doing parameter browseable = yes
doing parameter printing = cups
doing parameter printcap name = cups
pm_process() returned Yes
Failed to load @codepagedir@/upcase.dat - No such file or directory
Failed to load @codepagedir@/lowcase.dat - No such file or directory
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Failed to load @codepagedir@/valid.dat - No such file or directory
creating default valid table
No builtin backend found, trying to load plugin
Module '/usr/local/samba/lib/samba/pdb/pgsql.so' loaded
Connecting to database server, host: localhost, user: rescomp, password:
XXXXXX, database: cc, port: 5432
No identifier specified. Check the Samba HOWTO Collection for details
pdb backend pgsql did not correctly init (error was
NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER)
Can't initialize passdb backend.

Rohit Nafday
Lead Programmer