[Samba] Argh!!!! Winbind Stability!

Josh Skains JSkains at deltad.com
Wed Jul 28 21:08:39 GMT 2004

Ok... This is annoying. Winbind doesn't seem to be 100% stable. I am using 3.0.4 and Winbind is attached to a Windows 2003 server. I am cheating, using RPC rather than ADS.

So here is the issue. Generally everything works. I do a wbinfo -u and all comes back. I do a getent passwd and a good list comes back as well.

The problem is sometimes with individual users, I do a "getent passwd jskains" and it will come back blank. But then I do it again and it comes back with a good entry. Why???????????? This is so fustrating because other services are effected by this. For example, If I change permissions on a file with "chown jskains file" sometimes it will say "invalid user" and then sometimes it will work fine.

Also the same with SSHD. Sometimes I try to log in via SSH and it will tell me I have an invalid password. Other times it jumps in with no problem whatsoever.

Help!

smb.conf:

[global]
        # LDAP Configuration
        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://master.eng.deltad.com
        ldap suffix = dc=softeng,dc=com
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=softeng,dc=com
        logfile = 2
        workgroup = ENG
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = dc1.eng.deltad.com
        map to guest = Bad User
        wins server = 192.168.8.2
        ldap ssl = no
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template homedir = /mhome/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        use sendfile = Yes
        cups options = raw

# Exports
[homes]
        comment = Home Directori[rcs]
        path = /export/rcs
        comment = RCS Controlled Sourcecode and Releases
        writeable = yes

[software]
        path = /export/software
        writable = yes
        comment = General Software
        delete readonly = yes
        create mode = 775
        wide links = no
        directory mode = 775

[backups]
        comment = Backup Directory
        path = /export/backups
        read only = No

[common]
        path = /export/common
        comment = Common Configuration Files
        writeable = yes

[docs]
        path = /export/docs
        writable = yes
        comment = Documentation for Software Engineeringes
        read only = No
        browseable = No