[Samba] Samba+LDAP - so close yet so far :) ...STILL NOT SOLVED

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 28 20:18:50 GMT 2004

>NOTE:
>- Have 'root= administrator' in /etc/samba/smbusers

You don't need this since your UID is 0 for administrator below.
Administrator IS root for these purposes the way you have things set.

>- Have done the appropriate chages to the xp registery

Not needed under 3.0.x, assuming you are talking about the SignOrSeal patch.

<logs snipped>

>QUESTION:
>1) Do I have to add 'smbpasswd -a root' or 'smbpasswd -a administrator'?

Since you shouldn't have mapped root to Administrator, samba doesn't
know anything about root, the only option left is 'smbpasswd -a
Administrator'

>2) NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER ? 'pdbedit -LV administrator' shows that the user exist

Yes, but you told samba that Administrator = root, so it's probably
looking for that.

>3) do 'root' and 'administrator' have to have the same password?

Again, root is irrelevant.  They can be different as peas and pachyderms.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.