[Samba] Characters

Bjoern JACKE samba at j3e.de
Wed Jul 28 15:06:58 GMT 2004

On 2004-07-28 at 12:02 +0100 Mario Gamito sent off:
>I've already tried using "unix charset = CP860" (860 is the portuguese
>codepage) in smb.conf, but no good.

okay, I assume you have samba 3.0.x then. leave the default (UTF-8)
here. Otherwise you will not be able to create arbitrary characters
from your win* clients and you will run into problems sooner or
later.

>I've read the documentation, but got to no conclusion.
>
>In short, i'd like to when a user saves a file, let's say "olá.txt" in a
>Samba share, the file in the Linux filesystem is also called "olá.txt"
>and not "ol_?.txt" or something messy alike.
>
>A last info:
>
>[root at dori home]# echo $LANG
>en_US.ISO-8859-1
>[root at dori home]#

switch to UTF-8 locale if possible. Then you will also see characters
like á correctly on the server. You also need a mkisofs which has
utf-8 support to create correct joliet images. Rockrigde does not care
about the encoding of the filenames, as it is a POSIX-like filesystem
extension. The version of mkisofs SUSE ships with 9.1 for example is
patched to be able to handle utf8 as well for joliet image creation.
Take a look at the manpage of mkisofs on how to specify the charset.
Remember you also have to specify the correct iocharset when you
*mount* joliet CD images. So even if you do not switch to UTF-8
locales, you can tell mkisofs that the files are utf8 and can mount
them as iso8859-1 later.

The quicker but less foresighted solution is to use "unix charset =
iso8859-1".

Bjoern