[Samba] passdb requires /etc/passwd entry?

Cal Heldenbrand calzplace at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 22:21:03 GMT 2004

Greetings everyone,

I have a question about the smbpasswd encrypted
database and /etc/passwd --  why does the passdb
backend require an entry in /etc/passwd?  Is it
possible to create samba encrypted users without a
/etc/passwd entry?

I have a samba PDC setup that is mainly just a login
server, then a separate server for $HOME's.  I have
all of my PAM configs setup to remotely authenticate
to another server with 8000+ users, then pam_smbpass
migrates passwords to the PDC.  The HOME server
automatically creates $HOME directories, and uses
winbind for UID mappings against my PDC.

The problem is the password migration in smbpass won't
work without an /etc/passwd entry, and I don't want to
potentially have to add 8000 users from a constantly
changing database.

Is there any workaround for this?

I've noticed in the source that the check for this is
done in passdb/passdb.c approx line 947

if (!NT_STATUS_IS_OK(pdb_init_sam_new(&sam_pass,
user_name, 0)))

But this is in the function local_password_change() --
If this is modifying the smbpasswd database, why would
it need to check /etc/passwd?  Is this just a sanity
check, or do I have my samba configs incorrect?

Call me naive, but could I just comment out this
section of code and see what happens?

Thanks for any help in advance,

--Cal Heldenbrand