[Samba] Getting Samba 3 to communicate with Win2k3 ADS

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Jul 27 19:47:20 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 14:59, Chris Goff wrote:
[snip a buncha]
> So basically, does anyone have some steps they went through to get a basic
> samba 3 file server running on their 2003 ADS network?
>
> Also, I'd *really* like to be able to use ACL to control folder
> permissions from WinXX clients rather than fudging with unix permissions.
> Does ReiserFS support ACL, or do I need to use another file system?

Not properly. Use either XFS or ext3 with ACL support compiled into the
kernel.

> Samba n00b, frusterated but hanging in there...
Even me being as good as I am in general, Samba hath shamed me these
past 2 weeks.

I want you to know that reference really works well. That at least got
me in the RIGHT direction.

The thing that made everything work for me, was making sure the kerberos
setup was absolutely proper, and making sure the shared libraries that
winbind uses are the proper versions. I had a three shared libraries not
get replaced... screwed up everything.

Anyhow, I suggest you take a look back at the samba archive and look for
an e-mail by me called:

	Chasing the "ads_add_machine_acct: Insufficient access" problem

Everything in there in the building of samba and kerberos is very
crucial. Make and install kerberos v1.3.4 first. Then without setting up
kerberos just make and install samba (was 3.0.4) 3.0.5 that way. Things
should be very good. It is a good baseline.

Now, as far as smb.conf thingers... things in smb.conf and ads and
kerberos have to line up exactly , domain names, realm names, etc...

Once you do that, you should be golden.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux