[Samba] Smaba and WINS

skent at gasd.org skent at gasd.org
Tue Jul 27 19:19:31 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to configure a SAMBA server to be a pplace where teachers can
share files over network neighborhood; the other thing that the SAMBA
server will do is be a time server for when users log in.  I cannot get
the SAMBA server to accept its WINS name, and I can only talk to it via IP
address.  Below is the contents of /etc/samba/smb.conf

Thanks for your help.

# Global parameters
        [global]
        workgroup = RENO
        writable = no
        netbios name = TIME
        public = yes
        security = SHARE
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        time server = yes
        hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/8  127.
        interfaces = eth0 lo
        preferred master = yes
        guest ok = yes
        guest account = pcguest
        netbios name = Time
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
[user]
        path = /share
        comment = User files
        hosts allow = 10. 127.

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
   wins server = 10.71.10.4

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no