[Samba] Permissions problem...I must be overlooking *something*...

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Tue Jul 27 12:10:37 GMT 2004

Hi,

I nearly have the same problem as David.

I have a share:

[forall]
   path = /home/data/forall
   read only   = yes
   write list  = Administrator, @lehrer, @domadm, @verwaltung
   force user  = root
   force group = staff
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775

and

rwxrwxr-x    9 root     staff       4096 Jul 27 12:42 forall

Neither Administrator nor any of the given group members are allowed to
create any files in this path.

But, when I remove the "force *" attributes everything works like
expected... except the owner/group is not set, of course.

I could be wrong, but this problems occurs firstly when I
started to migrate to samba 3.0.4 (and now 3.0.5). In an environment with
samba 3.0.2a (and below) this is working.

The logs only tell me, that this is a read-only share and it is not
possible to write to.

I use Samba as PDC with LDAP backend also for posix accounts.

David, did you solve your problem already?

Thanks for any help,

Patrick