[Samba] Linux smbfs differences

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Tue Jul 27 09:33:32 GMT 2004

Hi,

We are using samba in a mixed Linux/Windows environment. The server is
a samba 3.0.2a PDC and the clients are Windows XP and Linux (debian).
Debian version is unstable, a week old on all machines.

The thing is that there seem to be several differences depending on
which kernel we use on the clients. It looks like the differences are
concentrated on the username / user rights part. I didn't find a list
which describes this, but so far I've found at least the following
options are working different, or are not working at all on a 2.6.5+
kernel(on the client):

smb.conf
-------------
create mask =
directory mask =
inherit permissions = yes

smbmount
-------------
uid=
gid=
fmask=
dmask=

For example:
smbmount //server/share /mountpoint -o uid=100,gid=100
makes all the files owned by uid 100 on a 2.4 kernel. The same command
on a 2.6 kernel makes the mountpoint owned by uid 100, the rest of the
files have the uid's as set on the server.

Are my conclusions right? Are there more options which work different
and is there a list?

The only way i've found to really share files is to use:
force group = user
force create mode = 0770
force directory mode = 0770

Is there an other way? I hope someone can help.

Greetings,

Micha Kersloot
http://www.kovoks.nl/