[Samba] Password Syncronization with Mapped users

Ben Turner BTurner at trojanbattery.com
Mon Jul 26 23:21:20 GMT 2004

I'm not sure if this is supported or not, but I can't get it to work.

I'm trying to get the smb password and the unix password to sync for
mapped users.  I have have 'unix password sync' turned on and I have the
username mapping file set up.  When I change a users password in windows
(where the username is the same in windows and linux) the password
changes just fine.  When I change a user whose' username is mapped, the
unix password does not change.

If anyone can help me figure this out or if anyone from the Samba Team
can confirm that it is not possible it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
	encrpyt password = yes
	realm = EENEB.NET
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	workgroup = eeneb
	server string = as3
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	load printers = yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	security = ADS
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	unix password sync = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
	dns proxy = no
	winbind separator = +
	idmap uid = 10000-20000
	idmap gid = 10000-20000

==============================
[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	browseable = no
	writeable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /home/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
	printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /home/samba
;   public = yes
;   read only = yes
;   write list = @staff

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in
fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires
write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that
connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You
could
# also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user,
so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user
instead.
;[public]
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that
two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have
the
# Sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be
extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff