[Samba] Couldn't find user %u

Chris chrisd at better-investing.org
Mon Jul 26 15:05:50 GMT 2004

Hello again...

Still struggling with this.   I don't understand it, because this stuff used
to work on my old samba server, and what I am trying to do looks similar to
the example in the book...

I am using samba 3.0.4 in as an ADS domain member.  (I used to use 2.0.7 in an
NT4 domain).

I am trying to use directives like:

force user = %u
valid users = %u
force group = %g

But they are not working.  For debugging purposes, I used a root prexec to
dump the contents of each of those variables -- and they always look good:
DOMAIN+username, DOMAIN+groupname, etc. etc.

But, when I look in my log file, I find this:

smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(393)
  Couldn't find user %u

My users cannot connect to their shares!  It is like samba is unable to
utilize its own variables.

Users can connect to shares that I do not try to apply security to, but as
soon as I try to restrict it to their user or group, they are no longer
allowed in.

Please help!

Thanks.

Chris