[Samba] why join domain

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Jul 26 12:31:46 GMT 2004

>This is not a feature that has been asked for by any of my
>users as everyone has their own PC and work area.  This
>sounds like going part way toward a terminal server
>approach.  If I joined each PC to the domain anyway are
>there any *other* drawbacks or benefits?

If you back up anything the roaming profiles can be a huge benifit.
Most of our engineers are told to store no client data on their
machines, mainly so that we have some control over who can get to the
data.  When you couple that with roaming profiles, they have true
ability to drop onto any desk AND if their machine dies we can just swap
in a new one and all their data is available and safe.  Just have to
make sure to keep the mozilla cache to 5mb ;)

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.