[Samba] why join domain

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jul 25 03:34:33 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 11:11, brucehohl at access-4-free.com wrote:
> OK. So by joining a PC to the domain anyone with an account
> on the Samba PDC can log onto that PC.  And, if I also
> configure roaming profiles the users personal settings will
> also be loaded.  Did I understand this correctly?
---
yes
---

> This is not a feature that has been asked for by any of my
> users as everyone has their own PC and work area.  This
> sounds like going part way toward a terminal server
> approach.  If I joined each PC to the domain anyway are
> there any *other* drawbacks or benefits?
---
of course
---

> If I don't join the PC's (WinXP) to the domain can I still
> get a logon script to run?
---
no
---

> For the PC that I joined to the domain I disconnected the
> network cable and rebooted to simulate use of a laptop away
> from work.  At log on I selected the domain and was logged
> on OK except, of course, no access to network drives.  This
> seemed like an OK result.  Would this be the typical
> approach for a laptop user?
---
I use it on most of my networks
---

> Finally, if I logon as user1 on the laptop can I change from
> one DomainA (at office 1) to DomainB (at office 2) and keep
> all my personal settings?
---
No - a machine can only have a 'security account' on one domain. Each
user would have a profile that is specific to the domain anyway.

It's rather unfair to ask such basic Windows Administration questions to
this list. This is a samba list and there are thousands of books,
millions of web pages, endless classes and certifications directed
towards the advancement of the Microsoft Networking model. I would think
that you would be best served by consulting one of them and this list
would be better served by helping people configure samba into the
networking model that have chosen.

Craig