[Samba] why join domain

brucehohl at access-4-free.com brucehohl at access-4-free.com
Sat Jul 24 18:11:51 GMT 2004

> <brucehohl at access-4-free.com> wrote:
> > I've set up a test Samba PDC with a few test shares.
> > From the first Windows PC I logged on to a local
> > computer account and mapped drives to the shares on the
> > Samba PDC.  From the second Windows PC I joined the
> > domain and used a logon script to connect to the shares.
> >
> > My question:
> > What are the benefits of joining a Windows PC to the
> > Samba domain?  Both arrangements above appear to meet my
> > needs. Thanks for any comments.

> Once a windows computer is joined to the domain, it will
> use the PDC to   authenticate for everything, so
> centralising the user accounts. There is   no need to have
> local accounts on the clients. If you have few accounts
> then this isn't so much of a bonus
>
> Also, there are other nice features of a global account
> (such as roaming   profiles), but you may not want them.

OK. So by joining a PC to the domain anyone with an account
on the Samba PDC can log onto that PC.  And, if I also
configure roaming profiles the users personal settings will
also be loaded.  Did I understand this correctly?

This is not a feature that has been asked for by any of my
users as everyone has their own PC and work area.  This
sounds like going part way toward a terminal server
approach.  If I joined each PC to the domain anyway are
there any *other* drawbacks or benefits?

If I don't join the PC's (WinXP) to the domain can I still
get a logon script to run?

For the PC that I joined to the domain I disconnected the
network cable and rebooted to simulate use of a laptop away
from work.  At log on I selected the domain and was logged
on OK except, of course, no access to network drives.  This
seemed like an OK result.  Would this be the typical
approach for a laptop user?

Finally, if I logon as user1 on the laptop can I change from
one DomainA (at office 1) to DomainB (at office 2) and keep
all my personal settings?

Again, thanks for any comments.