[Samba] Use FreeBSD samba sever to authenticate OS X connections

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Sat Jul 24 14:52:51 GMT 2004

Hi,
I want to allow users on windows wokstations to connect to samba shares on our
new Mac. We have a FreeBSD server running samba 2.x & all users have accounts
on that server.
Only users with accounts on the Mac can access it's shares, so to avoid having
to replicate all the accounts on the Mac, I want it to use the FBSD server
for authentication.
From what I've read, I get the idea I need to change our FBSD server to be a
domain controller & then set the Mac to use domain level security.
It also means running winbind on the FBSD server & I'm not sure about
authentication - currently we use smbpasswd.

Does that sound right, or do I just need to set security on the Mac to domain?

Cheers,
--
Ian