[Samba] unable to join domain hosted by 3.0 PDC

Jeff Layton jtlayton at poochiereds.net
Sat Jul 24 10:58:34 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 20:25, Craig White wrote:
> smbadmin group cannot create unix user (machine is in essence a user
> account too) - unless you have some magic that wasn't revealed in your
> email.
>
> either group map 'Domain Admins' to the 'root' group or add the specific
> users to root equivalent in smbusers
>
> Craig

I had precreated the unix account for the machine (hostname$), and added
a machine account for it to the tdbsam (via 'smbpasswd -a -m
hostname$'), so I didn't think I needed any special privileges for the
account joining the domain.

But leaving off this for a minute, even if I hadn't, why would I need to
give this account any sort of special access? The accounts would be
created by child processes of 'smbd', so they should already have root
access, correct?

--
Jeff Layton <jtlayton at poochiereds.net>