[Samba] Passwords in 3.0.1rc3 and 3.0.4

Örn Hansen orn.hansen at swipnet.se
Fri Jul 23 10:52:18 GMT 2004

fredag 23 juli 2004 09:54 skrev Andrew Bartlett:

> Firstly, it's not MD5, but MD4(unicode password).
>
> In anyc ase, the usual bug is that people have a 0 last change time
> set.  Either delete it, or make it real.
>
> See the release notes for Samba 3.0.3a.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Here is an example of last set, they're real:

sambaPwdLastSet: 1090242095
sambaPwdMustChange: 1094130095

The thing here is, that when I use smbpasswd to set the password ... then
using smbclient, will result in the correct password.  But this will result
in the wrong password, when trying to logon with Windows XP.  If I use
mkntpwd from the smbldap suite, then the password will be correct when login
from a Windows XP client, but will be incorrect with smbclient.  When
watching the MD hash created by the two programs, they are the same for the
Lanmanager passwords, but are different for the NT Passwords.

I'm using SuSE 9.0 and samba 3.0.4...

Örn