[Samba] OT -> Setting up JetDirect card, to CUPS, to Samba

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Jul 22 17:59:00 GMT 2004

A bit OT, but since it is for Samba and some smart folks hang around here...

Setting up JetDirect cards for Samba printing via CUPS. They suggest BOOTP vs DHCP mode. However BOOTP mode does not pull down the DNS domain name, DHCP mode does. Called the vendor, they say "that's
the way it works" and that I need to type it in the card. Doesn't seem very automatic for changing domain names in the future - visiting each card vs just updating the DHCP server.

Am I being led down a path by the vendor? Anyone a BOOTP / DHCP expert than can put some light on this?

TIA!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems