[Samba] Samba+LDAP - so close yet so far:) ...STILL NOTSOLVED

José Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa icamargo at merkurio.com.ve
Thu Jul 22 13:03:26 GMT 2004

What does your ldap.conf (or pam_ldap.conf or libnss-ldap.conf) looks
like?  I assume It is something like this:

nss_base_passwd         dc=juwimm,dc=local?sub
nss_base_shadow         dc=juwimm,dc=local?sub
nss_base_group          ou=Groups,dc=juwimm,dc=local?one

Wich, unless you have ldap for samba only, is not a very good idea.  You
should have something like:

nss_base_passwd         ou=Samba,dc=juwimm,dc=local?sub
nss_base_shadow         ou=Samba,dc=juwimm,dc=local?sub
nss_base_group          ou=Groups,dc=juwimm,dc=local?one

and use:

ou=users,ou=Samba,dc=juwimm,dc=local  for your users.
ou=machines,ou=Samba,dc=juwimm,dc=local  for the computers.

and put:

ldap user suffix = ou=users,ou=Samba
ldap machine suffix = ou=machines,ou=Samba

in your smb.conf

This way you can even have different samba PDCs in the same ldap, using
different ou (let's say that you have 4 domains in your network
(different network segments, maybe), then you can keep them independent
one of the other, and still have a central user
administration/storage).  Or, off course, different services sharing the
same ldap directory.